Comfortable flats are a wardrobe staple, whether you’re on your feet all day or working from home in style. As the name might suggest, flats are heel-less, closed-toe shoes that effortlessly elevate your look, while also providing the comfort and support you need to conquer the day ahead.
If you’re looking to expand your shoe collection, replace your favorite walking shoes, or need to find a better substitute for your dressy heels, a pair of cute, comfy flats is the answer. Find out why comfortable flats for women deserve a welcome home in every closet.
- A look back at the history of flats.
- Why you need comfortable flat shoes in your wardrobe.
- The impressive versatility of flats.
- Finding the right flats with Rothy's.
A look back at the history of flats.
Flats can be traced all the way back to the 16th century. While they were outshined by the heel in the 17th and 18th centuries, they reclaimed their popularity in the 19th century—at a time when functionality once again reigned supreme.
In modern history, ballet flats garnered the fashion industry’s attention again when Audrey Hepburn wore them on the silver screen in the 1950s. Fast forward to the present—and flats are now an undeniable wardrobe staple for the modern woman.
The last few years have seen a transition into a more relaxed and versatile assortment of styles, where functionality meets chic design. With this shift, comfortable flat shoes have become a must-have in every closet—even for those working with a limited capsule wardrobe.
Another growing priority in the fashion industry is sustainability. To meet the demand for comfy shoes that reduce your environmental impact, Rothy’s has revolutionized the industry with sustainable flats knit from repurposed plastic water bottles. We’re excited to build a better future for the planet and the people who live on it, one step at a time.
Ready to swap out your everyday heels and wedges for comfortable flats that feel and look good?
Why you need comfortable flat shoes in your wardrobe.
There’s a new way to elevate your style, and that’s a well-designed pair of flats. The good thing about modern flats is you don’t have to make the hard choice between looking put-together and having the support you need to move through your day. Flats have become a staple comfort shoe for several reasons:
- Better foot support: You might not realize it, but your elevated shoes—heels and wedges we’re looking at you—might be taking a toll on your body by putting pressure on all the wrong places. But with flats, your foot is able to sit in a natural position. This is important because keeping your foot in a natural position reduces the strain on your feet and on the rest of your body, too. Rothy’s flats are designed to have a snug fit that allows them to securely hold your foot in place and mold to your feet, so they’ll fit the same from day 1 to day 365.
- Increased stability: There’s no debating that heels are a classy shoe that can pull together a professional look in an instant. But if you’re not an expert in walking in heels, they often aren’t the most practical thing. With polished flats and elevated neutral styles, you can achieve that same work-appropriate-chic look, while also enjoying more stability throughout the day.
- Greater flexibility: Say hello to shoes that move with you. The knit material of Rothy’s flats allows for just enough give so that they bend and shift with the natural movement of your foot, while still providing a snug fit that doesn’t stretch out.
For these reasons, flats are perfect for long walks on the beach, around the foreign city you’re exploring, or bustling around town taking care of business. Whether you want to dress them up or down, there’s a flat that’s perfect for every occasion.
The impressive versatility of flats.
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, flats come in a variety of shapes, colors, prints, and styles, making them a highly versatile—and most importantly, comfortable—shoe choice. Trust us, we specialize in making comfortable flats for women who want reliable footwear for work, nights out, and everything in between.
Own the boardroom.
You might be thinking, “Just how versatile are flats? Can you wear flats to an interview?”. We’re here to assure you that yes, you can—and we have all the tips and tricks. Check out our guide on how to wear flats to work, so you can see how just easy it is to introduce them into your professional wardrobe.
Shop our flats for working professionals to find the pair that best compliments your boardroom style.
Wow your dates.
Whether you’re heading out for a casual date with your long-time partner or are looking to make a good first impression by dressing to impress, a pair of comfortable flat shoes can be your go-tos for completing your date-night look.
Achieve a simple yet polished look with Rothy’s square-toed flats paired with your favorite denim, tailored trousers, or a flowy skirt.
Seize the day.
Gearing up for everyday adventures? These shoes are the perfect blend of comfy and casual. Loafers are great for making the most of your work days and weekends—from exploring a new neighborhood to taking your kids to the park. With a pair of comfortable flat shoes, there’s nothing you can’t check off your to-do list.
Finding the right flats with Rothy’s.
If you’re sold on the idea that flats are a must-have in your wardrobe, the next step is finding the right pair for you.
In addition to diverse styles in fun colors and prints, there’s so much more to our shoes that makes us a go-to for comfortable flat shoes. From fierce pointed-toe flats to classic solid staples, you can’t go wrong with picking a pair of Rothy’s.
Select the style that suits you.
Our comfortable flat shoes come in a variety of designs for every occasion. Some of our most popular styles include:
- The Flat: This classic round-toe flat is effortlessly chic and perfect for everyday wear.
- The Point: This sophisticated silhouette is a great option for the work day and date night alike.
- The Square: An instant classic, this polished square-toed style is a chic take on our original flat.
- The Loafer: Embody casual cool in this laidback design that can be paired with almost anything, from jeans to a lightweight t-shirt dress.
- The Mary Jane: Soften any look with these whimsical flats, featuring a pointed toe and effortless bow.
Each of these styles comes in standout colors and patterns to complement any wardrobe.
Wash your flats without worry.
Did we mention that our flats are 100% machine washable? Once you get used to your shoes, it’s difficult to imagine a day without them as your trusted sidekick to carry you through the day. With Rothy’s, you can simply pop them in the wash, air dry them, and have them looking as good as new in no time.
If you want your shoes looking extra-clean, we also have a care kit to keep your favorites fresh. This handy kit comes with a wash bag and Rothy’s Cleaning Spray to keep your cute, comfortable flats in tip-top shape.
Keep your flats fresh with replaceable insoles.
Flats insoles are the perfect solution to keeping your shoes fresh between washes, or even rejuvenating a well-worn pair of flats. With extra insoles, you get to keep your favorite comfortable flats and reduce your waste by extending the lifespan of your shoes.
We make sustainability stylish. One of the best things about Rothy’s flats is that they’re made from repurposed plastic water bottles. These water bottles are turned into chips, which are then used to create spools of thread that are 3D knitted into each pair of Rothy’s. Plus, the outsoles of our shoes are made from eco-friendly rubber. Scoring a pair of comfortable flats that are also sustainable? That’s a win in our book.