The world around us is changing rapidly, and much of what we’re seeing is entirely unprecedented. Therefore, we set out to start something new that could best address the immediate needs of this unexpected time—and thus the Open Innovation Coalition was created. So what does that mean, exactly? For starters, we founded the OIC as a way to unite like-minded brands in sharing resources to collectively support COVID-19 relief efforts. Next up, we identified our goal: to help one million people over the next three months.
We’ve open-sourced our mask-making knowledge with fellow manufacturers who are interested in producing similar relief items. By partnering with 16+ incredible brands like Framebridge, Lingua Franca, Native, ThirdLove, Marine Layer, and more, we’re able to create a meaningful impact—together.
We're looking forward to continuing to grow this coalition, and we’ll be keeping you in the loop on our efforts along the way. Let’s take a look at what the OIC has been up to so far.
Our partners are something special. Here’s what they’re doing:
- Framebridge has converted its factory in Kentucky to manufacture thousands of lightweight face shields per day, open-sourcing its shield template for others to use.
- ThirdLove has reallocated its elastics to produce masks and donated 1,000 pairs of bras and underwear to frontline medical workers.
- Lingua Franca has taught its community how to make masks at home via instructional videos, which generated over 4,000 handmade masks that were donated to frontline workers.
- KAIMIN is producing thousands of medical gowns and masks per week, connecting with the COVID Help Network to distribute supplies.
- The Empowerment Plan is lifting women in Detroit out of homelessness by employing them to produce thousands of isolation gowns for Michigan hospitals.
We’re all in this together. Here’s how we’re working towards helping 1 million people:
The OIC has donated 193,129 units of PPE and over $90,000 to relief efforts.
Collectively, the group has donated or pledged to donate:
- 122,000 non-medical masks: 100,000 from Rothy’s, 10,000 per week from KAIMIN, 4,000 from Lingua Franca and 5,000 from Lucky Brand.
- 27,000 medical masks: 20,000 from Leesa, 5,000 from Lucky Brand and 2,000 from ThirdLove.
- 9,000 hospital gowns: 3,500 from Empowerment Plan and 3,500 per week from KAIMIN.
- 30,000 protective face shields from Framebridge.
- 4,000 bed kits from Leesa.
The group has contributed $90,000 to relief organizations such as Direct Relief, The NYC Foodbank, MaskMatch, Mount Sinai and more.
Interested in joining the OIC? Get in touch: email@example.com
Plus, we’re doing more to help support COVID-19 relief efforts. Learn all about each of our initiatives here.