Rothy’s was founded with an unwavering commitment to design a beautiful shoe with the environment in mind. Anyone can make pretty shoes; we took it a step further and developed a way to craft stylish, comfortable flats from recycled plastic bottles.
Here are three reasons why this milestone means so much to us.
1. We did this together.
Repurposing 20 million plastic bottles into Rothy’s flats is truly reflective of our amazing community of customers. “This moment represents the upward momentum of our small SF-based brand and a happy, growing group of customers,” said Roth, our Founder and Chief Creative Officer. “It means that closing the fashion ecosystem is possible in part to our strength in numbers.”
2. Sustainability is in our DNA.
From the very beginning, shaping a sustainable future has been at the core of what we do at Rothy’s. We do this by:
- Transforming recycled plastic water bottles into our signature thread, which is then knit into beautiful, sustainable shoes.
- Fully owning and operating our factory, which enables us to optimize production processes and minimize waste.
- Carrying little inventory, so we avoid overproduction.
- Making durable and washable shoes—so they stay by your side for the long haul.
3. This is only the beginning.
We are constantly listening, learning and exploring new ways to innovate across our manufacturing pipeline and reduce our footprint. Above all else, it’s vital that we keep delighting our customers with shoes they can feel great about wearing.
We are proud of the work we have done to reduce plastic pollution, but we still have a long way to go. We have so much to learn, and that’s where our community comes into play. Show us how you reduce your plastic footprint with #Rothys20Million. We’re all in this together.